Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Who Knew?.....





12-3-2009 Oil 9 x 12"



Well, it's definately starting to get cold here now in Michigan. This plein air painting might have been my last for this year. I'm sure that the sun will lure me out later this winter, but for now, I am just not quite ready for the frigid air of winter. Glad I went out to paint that day. There was a moment when I was working on this painting that made me realize just how wonderful natural colors are in this time of year. I had a difficult time in the early fall finding compositions to suit my color interests--there was just too much color saturation everywhere. Whereas, in this time of year, at first glance, the dull overcast sky seems to suck the very life from everything on the horizon. But at closer inspection, the residual greys left behind happen to make beautiful moody palettes that are soft and still as if the earth were resting....something this painting is about.



No comments:

Post a Comment